Sunday, January 13, 2013

Review ~ Black City by Elizabeth Richards

Book: Black City
Author: Elizabeth Richards
Black City Book #1
Edition Read: Hardcover


Blurb: 

A dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war. 

In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-olds Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable-they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash's long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they're caught, they'll be executed-but their feelings are too strong.

When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.

My Review:
**3.5 Stars**

MY OVERVIEW: This book is a perfect example of why I always try and at least read 100 pages before putting a book down. I was ready to give up on page 2, but pushed through. I thought the beginning scene was about sex/prostitution, however, it was about drugs. I know that doesn't make it better, but I would rather read a book dealing with drugs than one that starts with a sex scene. To me, if you start with a sex scene, it probably means it will continue throughout the book-and I don't really want to read that when I pick up a Young Adult book.

PROS: Once I got into the story, I had a very hard time putting the book down. It really kept my attention. I know a lot of people probably aren't going to like the fact that it is very religious heavy in that pretty much a religious leader (creator) rules the world... However, I actually enjoyed this. I think in a society that has been overrun with vampire-like creatures, people would turn to religion as an answer. And from that, a new religion would emerge.

CONS: Ok, I did have problems with this book. Sometimes the bouncing back and forth was a little rough. However, probably one of my biggest problems was the end. I won't give any spoilers here, but I really didn't like what happened with Ash (and Natalie) at the end. I think it should have ended differently.

This wasn't a "con" but more of an opinion... I wouldn't have called them 'Darklings.' These are vampire-like creatures and I would have gone with a twist on the word 'vampire.' But that is just me personally.

MY FINAL THOUGHTS: As I really did enjoy the story line, I do plan on reading the next book. I really look forward to seeing how the story progresses. Especially with how Black City ended.


No comments:

Post a Comment