Saturday, January 5, 2013

Author Interview ~ Kathleen Peacock

Kathleen Peacock is the author of the new Hemlock Series. Her debut novel, Hemlock, was released in 2012 and the next book in the series will be coming out this year.

Author Bio: 

Kathleen spent most of her teen years writing short stories. She put her writing dreams on hold while attending college but rediscovered them when office life started leaving her with an allergy to cubicles.

Interview:

1) I understand that Hemlock will be a trilogy. Do you already have the other two books written?
The second book has been written and I'm currently working on the third book.

2) Are there any authors who have influenced your writing?
I definitely think some of the books I loved as a teen have influenced my writing. I was a huge fan of the first four books in Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles because her characters brooded and struggled with their immortality. Given how I clung to those books, I think it was probably inevitable that any paranormal creatures I wrote would have their fair share of angst. With all the Anne Rice and Stephen King I devoured, I think my genre choice was solidly set before I turned sixteen.

3) I loved Kyle! He was fantastic. Who was your favorite character to write and why?
Thank you! Poor Kyle; he does try so hard.

In book one, it would probably be Amy. She's just so deliciously creepy, and I love how normal rules become sort of suspended when she's on the page. She's my own macabre version of the Cheshire cat.

In book two, it's probably Jason because I really love his character arc for the book.

4) Can you describe Hemlock in 5 words or less?
Werewolves. Murder mystery. Ghosts. Kissing.

5) Can you provide us a little hint as to what we can expect in the next book?
Readers who wanted more details about the werewolf rehabilitation camps should (I hope!) be happy with the twists and turns in book two. The mystery is darker, the kisses are more desperate, and the action has been turned up a notch.

6) Is there a specific food or drink that you have to have handy while writing?
Lately, it's been all about animal crackers. I don't know why.

7) Do you prefer to write with pen and paper or on a computer/laptop?
I sometimes outline with pen and paper, but when it's actually time to write, I need to use a computer. my hands just can't keep up with my brain unless I'm typing. Also, my post-secondary education is in art and design; it's hard for me to hold a pen and not fill entire pages with doodles.

8) What inspired you to write a Young Adult novel?
I knew I wanted to try writing a novel, and of the story ideas I had, Hemlock was the one I was most passionate about.

9) Have you based anything in your book on real life experiences or is it purely imagination? Obviously, unless I am really out of the news, there isn't an outbreak of Lupine Syndrome... but other than that. :)
Aside from setting (Hemlock is a fictional town but parts of it are based on cities I've lived in), it's all imagination. There was one flashback scene that was based on a conversation I had in real life, but it ended up getting cut. In retrospect, I'm glad it did. I think all writers are influenced by their experiences, but personally, I like it to be an indirect sort of influence.

10) Do you have any advice to give aspiring authors?
Read often and read widely. It sounds cliche, but it is so important.

11) Ok, now this one is way out there... I am a big Star Wars fan (originals) and see that you are too... how do you feel about Disney buying out the next three?
Best. Question. Ever.

At the risk of upsetting other fans, I actually think Disney buying the next three might be a good thing. I love the original trilogy beyond all measure, but I was bitterly disappointed by the prequels. Like the Force, I sometimes think Lucas needs balance and I'm hoping Disney's involvement will provide that. It's worth keeping in mind that The Empire Strikes Back-which many people consider the strongest movie in the original trilogy- wasn't actually directed by Lucas himself.

Plus, think of all the things Leia can teach the other Disney princesses.


Thank you Kathleen for taking the time to answer all of my questions! At the risk of staring a heated discussion on my blog... I would actually have to agree with you on Disney taking over Star Wars. I think Lucas has just ruined everything he has touched lately.

Ok... back to the awesome Hemlock series. :)

More information on Hemlock:

Blurb:

Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.

Since then, Mac's life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group call the Trackers has come to Mac's hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy's killer:

A white werewolf.

Lupine syndrome--also known as the werewolf virus--is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy's murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy's boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.

Kathleen Peacock's thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spellbinding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love.

Add Hemlock to your Goodreads shelf.
Purchase on Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite thing about this (AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING) interview is Kathleen's insight on the Star Wales/Disney sale. THING I NEVER KNEW BEFORE! This is amazing ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeeh!! I'm SO SO SO excited for the sequel!!

    ReplyDelete