Friday, February 7, 2014

Review ~ Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet #1)
by Orson Scott Card
YA Sci-fi Dystopia
Published: January 1985
Goodreads Link

Blurb: 

Once Again, Earth is under attack. An alien species is poised for a front assault. The survival of humanity depends on a military genius who can defeat the aliens.

But who?

Ender Wiggin. Brilliant. Ruthless. Cunning. A tactical and strategic master. And a child.

Recruited for military training by the world government, Ender's childhood ends the moment he enters his new home: Battle School. Among the elite recruits Ender proves himself to be a genius among geniuses. In simulated war games he excels. But is the pressure and loneliness taking its toll on Ender? Simulations are one thing. How will Ender perform in real combat conditions? After all, Battle School is just a game.

Right?

My Review: 
**3 Stars**

I really struggled with the rating on this book. I wasn't sure if it was going to be 3 stars or 3.5, but I finally settled on 3. Having a child of my own has changed my perspective on some of the books I read. Ender's Game is all about little kids. I think the oldest one in the book is 14. These kids are having their childhood taken away and being put through a brutal military training regimen.

On a whole, I really enjoyed the story. If the kids had been teenagers, it would have made it a lot easier to read... at that age, I feel they would really have a choice to enter the school, rather than being practically forced.

As I said, I really did like the whole story line. The ending made me cry - even though I had a feeling that some of those revelations were coming. I do not plan to read any more in this series (as this felt like a stand-alone), but I do plan on watching the movie.

2 comments:

  1. The rest of the Ender's Series is okay (not my favorite), but really, Ender's Shadow is worth the read, even if it is the same story from a different perspective... I think it is definitely the better of the two books (and the books that follow that are all very good as well... particularly as they follow the kids as they grow up... which you might enjoy more).

    ReplyDelete