Saturday, November 2, 2013

Review ~ These Broken Stars (ARC) by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner (Go read this book now!!!)

These Broken Stars (Starbound #1)
by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
YA Sci-fi Dystopia
Expected Publication: December 10th 2013
Goodreads Link

Blurb: 

It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they're worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other's arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they being to wonder-would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every stop. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won't be the same people who landed on it.

The first in a sweeping science fiction trilogy, These Broken Stars is a timeless love story about hope and survival in the face of unthinkable odds.

My Review: 
**5 Stars**
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley for an honest review.

Ok, so my actual review is more like 4.99999 stars. I am still a little upset that Lilac... um... something with Lilac... towards the end. You'll just have to read it and find out exactly what happens to her. But I'm still upset.

I really, really, really loved this story. I don't normally pick up books that take place on spaceships because I feel that there just isn't room to move. Spaceships are confining and I feel that books centered around them tend to be as well. But the ship crashes and this ends up being a survival story. I could go on and on about this book, but I would end up giving too much away and ruining everything for you. So, I will just touch on a few key points.

L.O.V.E. Tarver!!! he is a poor kid - turned war hero - turned "babysitter" for a spoiled rich girl in a survival situation. I love how his and Lilac's relationship grows. There is the initial attraction, then loathing, then tolerance, then... well, you can guess where this is going. BTW... soooo book boyfriend material.

Lilac is a fascinating character as well. She is different from how society dictates she should be, and that helps her grow into a whole other person on the planet. Her transformation is based on necessity and I feel that the authors pulled it off really well.

I HIGHLY recommend this book to any fantasy, dystopian, and sci-fi fans. Even romance fans. Ok, I highly recommend it to anyone. I am just very, very sad that I will have to wait another year for the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment