Sunday, July 28, 2013

Review ~ Ink (ARC) by Amanda Sun

Ink (Paper Gods #1)
by Amanda Sun
YA Paranormal
Published: June 25th 2013
Goodreads Link

Blurb: 

On the heels of a family tragedy, the last thing Katie Greene wants to do is move halfway across the world. Stuck with her aunt in Shizuoka, Japan, Katie feels lost. Alone. She doesn't know the language, she can barely hold a pair of chopsticks, and she can't seem to get the hang of taking her shoes off whenever she enters a building.

Then there's gorgeous but aloof Tomohiro, star of the school's kendo team. How did he really get the scar on his arm? Katie isn't prepared for the answer. But when she sees the things he draws start moving, there's no denying the truth: Tomo has a connection to the ancient gods of Japan, and being near Katie is causing his abilities to spiral out of control. If the wrong people notice, they'll both be targets.

Katie never wanted to move to Japan-now she may not make it out of the country alive.

My Review:
**4 Stars**
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley for an honest review. 

So, I honestly wasn't sure if I was actually going to read this book, never mind requesting it from NetGalley. But after seeing some of the reactions to Ink I decided to give it a try. And I am very glad I did. I really enjoyed the originality of the story. 

There were a couple points where I couldn't understand what was being said... but in the paperback version that is out, there is a glossary in the back. I am glad the author included this in the book, but it also kind of takes away from the experience.

Katie's character was awesome. She is going through so much in her life and struggling to keep up in a society she doesn't understand with a language she is trying to grasp. She is pretty stupid though - following Tomo around after being warned off. But then, it wouldn't have made a great story if she had left him alone.

I think the only thing that bothered me about Tomo was his breakup with Mya. He obviously still liked her, but he very quickly forgot about her when Katie comes along. I look forward to reading the next book and seeing what happens with both Katie and Tomo.

No comments:

Post a Comment