Thursday, May 23, 2013

Review ~ Origin by Jessica Khoury

Origin
by Jessica Khoury
YA Sci-fi
Published: September 4th, 2012
Goodreads Link

Blurb: 

Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home--and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.

Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia's origin--a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever.

Origin is a beautifully told, shocking new way to look at an age-old desire: to live forever, no matter the cost.

My Review: 
**4.5 Stars**

MY OVERVIEW: How would you live your life if you were immortal? Do you stay in a "cage" in hopes that you can help create more immortals like you, or do you escape and see the world? Truly live? This is what the main character, Pia, in Origin faces.

PROS: I loved this book and just couldn't put it down. It was written beautifully and I felt the struggle Pia went through. I think her conflict between staying in her "cage" and getting outside the compound was perfect. It is just houw I would imagine it would be.

CONS: Even though it is reflected in a bad light, the testing done on animals still bothered me. You can tell me that it happens, but don't go through a scene of torture with me. I don't want to know all the details. Part of me broke when I had to read about the "killing kittens for science" thing. I am a big cat person and I hate it when something happens to them.

MY FINAL THOUGHTS: I really enjoyed this book and the writing style. I can't wait for the author's next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment