Friday, February 8, 2013

Review ~ The Dark Unwinding by Sharon Cameron

The Dark Unwinding
By Sharon Cameron
Published September 1st 2012
Edition Read: Hardcover
Goodreads link

Blurb: 

A thrilling tale of spies, intrigue, and heart-racing romance!

When Katharine Tulman's inheritance is called into question by the rumor that her eccentric uncle is squandering away the family fortune, she is sent to his remote English estate to have him committed to an asylum. But instead of a lunatic, Katharine discovers a genius inventor with his own set of childlike rules, who employs a village of nine hundred people rescued from the workhouses of London. Katharine is now torn between protecting her own inheritance and preserving the peculiar community she has grown to care for-a conflict made even more complicated by a handsome apprentice, a mysterious student, and fears for her own sanity. As the mysteries of the estate begin to unravel, it is clear that not only is her uncle's world at stake, but also the state of England as they know it. With twists and turns and breathtaking romance at every corner, this thrilling adventure will captivate readers.

My Review: 
**5 Stars**
I received a copy of this book for an honest review from the publisher via NetGalley. 

MY OVERVIEW: Wow. I am completely blown away by this book. It has gotten the very, very rare 5 star rating from me. I really enjoyed both the main story and the somewhat side story. I feel that the true main story was Katharine coming into her own, and Uncle Tully was more the side story.

PROS: Katharine was fantastic. You could see everything she struggled with; between her "duty" and what she truly wanted to do. Actually, all of the characters were written beautifully. Of course, Lane and Davey were my favorites.

CONS: I really don't have anything bad to say about this book. My one wish was that a death that happened, didn't. But I understand why it did as it is kind-of integral to the series.

MY FINAL THOUGHTS: A book I would highly recommend to any fan of steampunk or history right at the height of the industrial age. I cannot wait for the next book to come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment